Mother’s Day at St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church, New Carrollton, Maryland
A woman named Anna Jarvis established the first Mother’s Day with a celebration on May 10, 1908 at St. Andrew Methodist Church in Grafton West Virginia. The ceremony was intended to honor Anna’s mother, Ann Jarvis, who had died three years earlier and all mothers. Ann Jarvis had provided care for the wounded during the civil war. On May 9, 1914 President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed the second Sunday in May as Mother’s Day as a “public expression of love and reverence for the mothers of our country”. This tradition has continued to be upheld since then.
Mother’s Day was celebrated on May 12, 2019. The virtuous women of St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church of New Carrolton were honored on this day by the men of St. Christopher’s Church. The celebration followed the second service on this special day. The women were treated to a tasty luncheon served in the beautifully decorated upper room of the church. A long stem rose was presented to each woman.
The women, all looking radiant, many of whom wore gorgeous blue and white outfits, were acknowledged by several of the men of St. Christopher’s with poignant speeches. The young men of the church actively participated in all phases of the celebration which made the occasion even more special. The occasion also included playing games of trivia with many lucky women receiving prizes. The women all received a gift of a tee- shirt embossed with a picture of St. Christopher’s church and message that said, “A mother’s love endures through all”. It was a beautiful celebration for which the women of St. Christopher’s say thank you to the men of St. Christopher’s Church.